A Walk on Your Poetic Side
A poetry Web Scavenger Hunt
Created by: Mrs. Leach
This web scavenger hunt will help you review different styles of poetry and allow you to analyze different poems.† You will be viewing several websites to find poems written in a variety of styles and by a variety of authors.†
Use the following websites to find the answers.† The answers may be found on more than one website.† Remember as you take your walk through the websites, you are the judge on what is fact and opinion.
When you are finished, print this page out and hand it in, or use Microsoft Word to cut, copy and paste samples of poetry or photos that help to answer some of the questions. Donít forget to put your name on it!
Name: _________________________†† Date:_______________
Begin Your Walk here.
1. Where did the Haiku Poem originate? ______________________________________
2. What themes are included in a Haiku? ______________________________________
3. How many lines and syllables does a Haiku have?† _____________________________
4. Locate an example of a Haiku and write it here: ___________________________
How many lines
6. What is the rhyming pattern of a limerick? __________________________________
example of a
8. What is found in the first line of a Clerihew? _________________________________
9. How many lines does a Clerihew have? _____________________________________
10. What is the rhyming pattern of a Clerihew? ________________________________
11. Locate an example of a Clerihew and write it here: ___________________________
For each of the following authors, list a poem they have written.
12. Emily Dickinson: ________________________________________________________
13. Edgar Allen Poe: ________________________________________________________
14. William Shakespeare: ____________________________________________________
15. Robert Frost: __________________________________________________________